Trucks Takes Exit Too Quickly, Rolls Over
WAYNE COUNTY, IN (TruckingNewsNow.com) (Source: Indiana State Police) — Troopers Friday morning responded to report of a semi on its side on the west bound I-70 ramp to US 35 South. Troopers arrived to find a 2011 Volvo semi pulling a box trailer off the roadway flipped onto it’s drivers side.
The preliminary investigation by Trooper Scott McPheeters indicated that Randall Hilleary, age 51 of Troy, Ohio was exiting I-70 west bound, onto the 149A ramp to US 35 South, when he entered a curve in the ramp at an unsafe speed and lost control of the truck. Hilleary was transported from the scene to Reid Health for treatment of non-life threatening injuries.
Trooper McPheeters was assisted at the scene by Troopers Steffee and Snyder; the Richmond Fire Department and INDOT. The Indiana State Police would like to offer the following safety tips for the upcoming Fourth of July holiday travel period.
Indiana State Police encourage all motorists to observe the following safety tips:
- Leave early. Allow extra time to get to your destination.
- Don’t use cruise control in heavy traffic
- Always signal lane changes.
- Use headlights even during daylight hours
- Reduce your speed in rain and NEVER DRIVE INTO WATER FLOWING OVER THE ROADWAY.
- Decrease your speed in construction zones-Obey posted speed limits
- REMEMBER TO SLOW DOWN AND MOVE OVER FOR EMERGENCY VEHICLES, TOW TRUCKS, SERVICE TRUCKS AND HIGHWAY MAINTENANCE VEHICLES!
- Make sure you are well rested. A fatigued driver is as dangerous as an impaired driver
- Increase the distance between you and the vehicle ahead of you, especially in construction zones
- Don’t forget to watch for slow moving farm equipment on county and state roads
- Watch attentively for motorcycles. Check blinds spots before changing lanes and look twice at intersections before you turn or pull out into traffic laws.
- Obey all traffic laws and never drive impaired